- Mezzotint on thin, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 14 1/4 × 10 1/4 inches (36.2 × 26 cm) and Image: 12 5/8 × 10 inches (32.1 × 25.4 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower right: "139 TT"
Lettered below image: "Ph. Mercier pinxt. | Publish'd according to Act of Parliament Januy. 1758. | Richd. Houston fecit | EVENING. | Now Phoebus from the Skies withdraws his beams, | And faintly glances in the Limpid Streams; | Now tow'rds the Park Melinda takes here Ways, | And breaths fresh Odour on the setting Days. | London, Printed for Robt. Sayer, opposite Fetter Lane, Fleet Street. Price 1s 6d."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arch | costume | dress | figure study | genre subject
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
John Ingamells, A Catalogue of the Paintings, Drawings, and Etchings of Philip Mercier, Volume of the Walpole Society, vol. 46, Walpole Society, 1976-8, p. 48, no. 195, pl. 14b, N12 W35 +A1 OVERSIZE (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Richard Houston, ca. 1721–1775, British, Evening, 1758
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.