- Mezzotint on thin, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 14 1/4 × 10 1/8 inches (36.2 × 25.7 cm), Image: 12 3/4 × 10 inches (32.4 × 25.4 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower right: "134 TT"
Lettered below image: "Ph. Mercier pinxt. | Publish'd according to Act of Parliament Jany. 1758 | Richd. Houston Fecit | NIGHT. | Now sprightly Thoughts elate the Virgin's Breast, | At Masquerade she wishes to be blest | Tho as a Pilgrim here the Nymph appears, | She feels a Woman's Hopes & Woman's Fears. | London Printed for Robt. Sayer opposite Fetter Lane Fleet Street Price 1s 6d."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- costume | figure study | genre subject
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Richard Houston, ca. 1721–1775, British, Night, 1758