The Four Elements
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 13 5/8 × 10 1/16 inches (34.6 × 25.6 cm), Plate: 13 3/8 × 9 7/8 inches (34 × 25.1 cm), and Image: 12 15/16 × 9 13/16 inches (32.9 × 24.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, below image, lower left: "819"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "277"
Lettered, lower left: "H. de Clerck delineavit B Lens fecit"; lettered, lower center: "The Four Elementes."; lettered, lower right: "Cumm Privilegio Regis"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- air | birds | earth | elements | fire | fires | flying | fruit | headdresses | lake | mountains | nudes | pouring | religious and mythological subject | shells | sitting | smoke | torches (lighting devices) | urns | water | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Bernard Lens, 1659–1725, British, The Four Elements, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.