The Four Elements
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 13 5/8 × 10 1/16 inches (34.6 × 25.6 cm), Plate: 13 3/8 × 9 7/8 inches (34 × 25.1 cm), and Image: 12 15/16 × 9 13/16 inches (32.9 × 24.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, below image, lower left: "819"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "277"
Lettered, lower left: "H. de Clerck delineavit B Lens fecit"; lettered, lower center: "The Four Elementes."; lettered, lower right: "Cumm Privilegio Regis"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- air | birds | earth | elements | fire | fires | flying | fruit | headdresses | lake | mountains | nudes | pouring | religious and mythological subject | shells | sitting | smoke | torches (lighting devices) | urns | water | women
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Bernard Lens, 1659–1725, British, The Four Elements, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.