- St. John in the Wilderness
- Mezzotint on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 3/16 × 8 9/16 inches (31 × 21.7 cm), Plate: 11 1/16 × 7 13/16 inches (28.1 × 19.8 cm), and Image: 10 3/4 × 7 3/4 inches (27.3 × 19.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "384"
Lettered, lower left: "B Lens fe: cum Privilegio Regis."; lettered, lower center: "St. John in the Wilderness."; lettered lower right: "E. Cooper exc:"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barefoot | camel hair | cross (object) | crosses (motifs) | halos | John the Baptist; possible attributes: book, reed cross, baptismal cup, honeycomb, lamb, staff - early life of male saint | lamb | mountain | obedience | prophet | reed | religious and mythological subject | sitting | trees | vines | wilderness
- Associated People:
- St. John the Baptist
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Bernard Lens, 1659–1725, British, St. John in the Wilderness, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.