- Sleepy Maid
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 14 3/8 × 10 1/4 inches (36.5 × 26 cm), Plate: 12 15/16 × 8 15/16 inches (32.9 × 22.7 cm), and Image: 11 1/4 × 8 13/16 inches (28.6 × 22.4 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper right: "78"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "The Sleepy Maid"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Sleepy Maid"; inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower left: "P. Mercier"; Inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower right: "J. McArdell"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "305"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "195 a T"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- figure study | genre subject | plates | servant | sleeping
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
John Ingamells, A Catalogue of the Paintings, Drawings, and Etchings of Philip Mercier, Volume of the Walpole Society, vol. 46, Walpole Society, 1976-8, p. 42, no. 155, pl. 14f, N12 W35 +A1 OVERSIZE (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James McArdell, ca. 1729–1765, Irish, Sleepy Maid, 1756
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.