- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 1/16 × 13 3/4 inches (25.6 × 34.9 cm), Image: 9 3/16 × 13 5/8 inches (23.3 × 34.6 cm)
Lettered lower left: "With Finger on his Lips, the Amorous Priest | And Arm around the Gentle Fair Ones Waste, | His Wanton looks her Yielding wishes win | And tells her that to Love can be no Sin."; lettered, lower right: "Her kind Duenna fumbling o're her Beads | With watchfull prying looks, prays he succeeds. | From Convent far the Brotherhood Espies | The pleasing sight and Envy him the Prize."; lettered, lower left: "Phill: M: pinxit."; lettered, lower right: "J. Simon fec."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- figure study | genre subject | priests
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Simon, 1675–1755, French, The Masqueraders, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.