- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream, laid paper
- Sheet (trimmed to plate): 10 1/16 × 13 3/4 inches (25.6 × 34.9 cm) and Image: 9 3/16 × 13 5/8 inches (23.3 × 34.6 cm)
Lettered lower left: "With Finger on his Lips, the Amorous Priest | And Arm around the Gentle Fair Ones Waste, | His Wanton looks her Yielding wishes win | And tells her that to Love can be no Sin."; lettered, lower right: "Her kind Duenna fumbling o're her Beads | With watchfull prying looks, prays he succeeds. | From Convent far the Brotherhood Espies | The pleasing sight and Envy him the Prize."; lettered, lower left: "Phill: M: pinxit."; lettered, lower right: "J. Simon fec."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- figure study | genre subject | priests
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Simon, 1675–1755, French, The Masqueraders, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.