The Maid in Rural Happiness
- Additional Title(s):
The Maid in Rural Happyness
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 7/16 x 13 1/4 inches (29.1 x 33.7 cm), Image: 9 5/8 x 12 3/8 inches (24.4 x 31.5 cm), and Plate: 11 x 12 3/8 inches (27.9 x 31.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "P. V. D. Berge fecit"; on back, lower left: "SS4"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Morellio pinxt. | The Maid in Rural Happyness, ~ | Pursues her innocent Employ; ~ | And is her pretty Care to bless, ~ | Accosted by the Blithsom Boy. ~"; lower right: "P. V. B. 1757. | Her soft Intention to emprove, ~ | He makes an Offring on his part, | An Emblem of their future Love, ~ | And with it tenders her his Heart."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animals | boy | cabbage | children | food | genre subject | gesture | girl | holding | labor | lettuce | love | petting | rabbits | rural | trees | vegetables
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Pieter van Bleeck, 1700–1764, Dutch, active in Britain (from 1723), The Maid in Rural Happiness, 1757
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.