- Additional Title(s):
Saint John the Evangelist
- early 1750s
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 20 1/16 x 14 inches (51 x 35.5 cm), Plate: 15 1/16 x 10 9/16 inches (38.2 x 26.9 cm), and Image: 13 3/4 x 10 9/16 inches (34.9 x 26.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "KHK 10"
Lettered, lower center: "S. Johannes. | Nemo, audeo dicere, tanta sublimitate sapientice majestatem vidit et nobis proprio sermone | reseravit, quam Joannes. Transcendit nubes, transcendit virtutes coelorum, transcendit an= | gelos et verbum in principio reperit, et apud Deum vidit. Ambros Prof in Luc. | Johnn Baptista Piazzetta Venetus delineavit. J. C. Leopold excudit Aug. Vind. Johann Lorenz Haid Sculpsit."; lower right: "C.4"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apostle | book | chalice | Christian | Christianity | cloak | curls | disciple | halo | historical subject | quills | reading | religious | religious and mythological subject | solemn | steam | thoughtful | writing (processes)
- Associated People:
- John the Evangelist, Saint (c. 1–c. 100 AD)
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Johann Lorenz Haid, 1702–1750, German, S. Johannes, early 1750s
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.