The Descent of Man into the Vale of Death
- Part Of:
- 1808, published 1813
- Etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 × 11 3/8 inches (38.1 × 28.9 cm), Plate: 11 × 6 1/2 inches (27.9 × 16.5 cm), and Image: 9 1/2 × 5 1/4 inches (24.1 × 13.3 cm)
Lettered lower left: "Drawn by W.Blake"; lower right: "Engraved by L.Schiavonetti"; lower center: "The descent of Man into the Vale of Death | ... Tis here all meet! | London, Published Mar. 1. 1813, by R. Ackermann 101 Strand"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cave | children | crutches | death | descending | fear | landscape | men | mothers | path | rocks | staff | stairs | suffering | valleys (landforms) | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Luigi Schiavonetti, 1765–1810, Italian, The Descent of Man into the Vale of Death, 1808, published 1813
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.