The Soul Exploring the Recesses of the Grave
- Part Of:
- 1808, published 1813
- Etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 × 11 3/8 inches (38.1 × 28.9 cm), Plate: 11 1/4 × 6 1/4 inches (28.6 × 15.9 cm), and Image: 9 1/4 × 4 5/8 inches (23.5 × 11.7 cm)
Lettrered below image, lower center: "The Soul exploring the recesses of the Grave. | London, Published March 1st. 1813, by R. Ackermann 101 Strand"; lower left: "Drawn by W. Blake"; lower right: "Etched by L.Schiavonetti"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- archway | cave | curiosity | death | exploring | flames | gown | grave | man | moon | mountains | religious and mythological subject | shorts | soul | watching | woman | youth
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Luigi Schiavonetti, 1765–1810, Italian, The Soul Exploring the Recesses of the Grave, 1808, published 1813
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.