The Soul Hovering over the Body reluctantly Parting with Life
- Part Of:
- 1808, published 1813
- Etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 3/8 × 15 inches (28.9 × 38.1 cm), Plate: 8 3/8 × 10 1/2 inches (21.3 × 26.7 cm), and Image: 6 1/4 × 9 inches (15.9 × 22.9 cm)
Lettered upper right: "P.16"; below image, lower center: "The Soul hovering over the Body reluctantly parting with Life. | ... How wishfully she looks | On all she's leaving, now no longer her's! | London, Published March 1 1813, by R. Ackermann 101 Strand"; lower left: "Drawn by W. Blake"; lower right: "Etched by L.Schiavonetti"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bed | body | death | departure | fear | gowns | lake | life | literary theme | longing | man | mountains | religious and mythological subject | soul | window | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Luigi Schiavonetti, 1765–1810, Italian, The Soul Hovering over the Body reluctantly Parting with Life, 1808, published 1813
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.