View of Leiston Abbey
- Etching and stipple engraving on moderately thick, textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 9 11/16 x 11 3/4 inches (24.6 x 29.9 cm), Plate: 8 5/8 x 10 1/2 inches (21.9 x 26.7 cm), and Image: 7 3/16 x 9 13/16 inches (18.3 x 25 cm)
Lettered, upper right: "XXIX"; lower left under image: "Drawn by T. Hearne,"; lower center: "To Sir Gerard Vanneck of Heveningham in the Country of Suffolk Bar,,t and Member of Parliament | for the Borough of Dunwich, the view of LEISTON ABBEY is inscribed by his most obedient Servants, | Thomas Hearne and WIlliam Byrne | London: Published as the Act directs, 30 June 1781 by W. Byrne & T. Hearne."; lower right under image: "Engrav'd by W. Byrne"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | arches | architectural subject | blocks | bushes | church | clouds | doorways | fancy dress | garden | hats | ladies | men | noblemen | plants | ruins | tourists | towers | trees | walking sticks | women
- Associated Places:
- England | Leiston | Leiston Abbey | Suffolk | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Byrne, 1743–1805, British, View of Leiston Abbey, 1781
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.