- View of Leiston Abbey
- Etching and stipple engraving on moderately thick, textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 9 11/16 x 11 3/4 inches (24.6 x 29.9 cm), Plate: 8 5/8 x 10 1/2 inches (21.9 x 26.7 cm), and Image: 7 3/16 x 9 13/16 inches (18.3 x 25 cm)
Lettered, upper right: "XXIX"; lower left under image: "Drawn by T. Hearne,"; lower center: "To Sir Gerard Vanneck of Heveningham in the Country of Suffolk Bar,,t and Member of Parliament | for the Borough of Dunwich, the view of LEISTON ABBEY is inscribed by his most obedient Servants, | Thomas Hearne and WIlliam Byrne | London: Published as the Act directs, 30 June 1781 by W. Byrne & T. Hearne."; lower right under image: "Engrav'd by W. Byrne"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | arches | architectural subject | blocks | bushes | church | clouds | doorways | fancy dress | garden | hats | ladies | men | noblemen | plants | ruins | tourists | towers | trees | walking sticks | women
- Associated Places:
- England | Leiston | Leiston Abbey | Suffolk | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Byrne, 1743–1805, British, View of Leiston Abbey, 1781
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.