The Primrose Seller, Two Bunches of Penny Primroses, Two Bunches a Penny...
- Additional Title(s):
Cries of London: Plate 1
A un sou mes deux peignèes de primeroses, a un sou
- Part Of:
- Color printed etching, aquatint, and stipple engraving with hand coloring in watercolor on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 16 7/8 × 13 1/4 inches (42.9 × 33.7 cm), Plate: 16 3/8 × 12 3/4 inches (41.6 × 32.4 cm), Image: 13 3/4 × 10 3/4 inches (34.9 × 27.3 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower right: "The extremely rare first issue of this Plate with 'first plate of the Cries of London'"; lower middle: "q3000" | encircled "13"; lower left: "12926 | 13" | "9"
Lettered below image, lower left: "Painted by F. Wheatley, R.A."; lower right: "Engraved by L. Sciavonetti"; "Two bunches a penny primroses, two bunches a penny | A un sou mes deux peignees de primeroses, a un sou | first plate of the Cries of London | premiere planche des Cries de Londres | London pub.d as the Act Directs. July 2 by Colnaghi and Co. No 132 Pall Mall | 1793"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | children | city | dog (animal) | flowers (plants) | genre subject | windows
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Francis Wheatley (Yale Center for British Art, 2005-08-31 - 2006-02-05) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Painters and Engraving - The Reproductive Print from Hogarth to Wilkie (Yale Center for British Art, 1980-03-26 - 1980-06-22) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Sean Shesgreen, Hawkers, beggars and quacks : portraits from the Cries of London, Bodleian Library, Oxford, 2021, pp. 10-11, no. 2, NJ18 .L297 S54 2021 (LC) [OCLC]