Milk below Maids
- Additional Title(s):
Cries of London: Plate 2
Qui veut du lait il est tout chaud
- Part Of:
- Color printed etching, aquatint and stipple engraving with hand coloring in watercolor on medium, slightly textured cream wove paper
- Sheet: 16 1/4 × 12 1/2 inches (41.3 × 31.8 cm), Image: 14 × 10 7/8 inches (35.6 × 27.6 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, top center: "2"; top right: "XX"; Lower left: "12126 | 12"; lower center: "16 x 12 1/4"; lower right: "The extremely rare first issue with 'Second Plate of the Cries of London'"
Lettered below image, lower left: "Painted by F. Wheatley R.A."; lower right: "Engraved by L. Schiavonetti" | "Milk below Maids | Qui veut de lait il est tout chaud | London pub'd as the Act Directs July 2, 1793 by Colnaghi & Co. No. 132 Pall Mall"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- children | cityscape | genre subject | milk | streetlamp
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Art and Emancipation in Jamaica: Isaac Mendes Belisario and his Worlds (Yale Center for British Art, 2007-09-27 - 2007-12-30) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition] [Exhibition Description]
Francis Wheatley (Yale Center for British Art, 2005-08-31 - 2006-02-05) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]