- The Soul Exploring the Recesses of the Grave
- Etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 20 1/4 × 13 1/2 inches (51.4 × 34.3 cm), Plate: 11 1/4 × 6 1/4 inches (28.6 × 15.9 cm), and Image: 9 1/4 × 4 3/4 inches (23.5 × 12.1 cm)
Lettered below image, lower left: "Drawn by W.Blake"; lower right: "Etched by L.Schiavonetti."; lower center: "The Soul exploring the recesses of the Grave. | London, Published May 1st. 1808, by Cadell & Davis, Strand"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arch | barefoot | building | candle | cave | church | corpse | death | flames | grave | literary theme | man | moon | mountain | religious and mythological subject | rock | soul | spire | standing | The Grave (1743) | tomb | walking
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Luigi Schiavonetti, 1765–1810, Italian, The Soul Exploring the Recesses of the Grave, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.