For Children. The Gates of Paradise, Plate 1, Frontispiece, "What is Man!"
- Etching and line engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Spine: 5 1/2 inches (14 cm), Sheet: 5 3/8 x 4 1/2 inches (13.7 x 11.4 cm), and Plate: 3 5/8 x 2 1/2 inches (9.2 x 6.4 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, upper center: "1"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- baby | botany | branch | caterpillar | children | historical subject | infant | leaf | science | text
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Denise Gigante, Life, organic form and Romanticism , Yale University Press, New Haven, 2009, between p. 114 and p. 115, pp. 140-41, Pl. III. 10, PR575.L54 G54 2009 (YCBA)