Here Nature List'ning Stood
- Additional Title(s):
Frontispiece to Samuel Ireland's "Warwickshire Avon"
- Part Of:
- Aquatint and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 9 x 5 15/16 inches (22.8 x 15.1 cm) and Image: 7 3/8 x 5 1/8 inches (18.7 x 13 cm)
Lettered in black ink, within image, upper right: "Warwickshire Avon."; lower left: "Burney delt."; lower center: "Here NATURE list'ning stood, whilst Shakespear play'd | And wonder'd at the Work herself had made! | London Pub. for Saml. Ireland Feby. 1st. 1795."; lower right: "C. Apostool sculpt. | Churchill."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beard | breeches | church | comedy | costume | curtain | doublet | drapery | frontispiece (illustration) | lyre | man | masks | nets | nudes | personification | river | riverbanks | scroll (information artifact) | shore (landform) | steeple | togas | tragedy | trees | women
- Associated Places:
- Avon | England | Europe | United Kingdom | Warwickshire
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Cornelis Apostool, 1762–1844, Dutch, Here Nature List'ning Stood, 1795
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.