Hamlet in Scotland
- Etching and stipple engraving, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 11 1/4 x 9 3/8 inches (28.6 x 23.8 cm), Plate: 8 13/16 x 6 5/16 inches (22.4 x 16 cm), Image: 7 5/8 x 6 5/16 inches (19.3 x 16 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on front, upper left: "10/6"; upper right: "12"; lower center: "Schar[..]y | Sp B vol ?"; lower right: "Stephenson Kemble"; on back, upper left: "Kemble | £2/2/ | One for | Brown for"; lower left: "13"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn & Etchd by R Dighton"; lower center: "HAMLET in SCOTLAND. | A LARGE manager in a GREAT CHARACTER. | ------that I have thought some of nature's journeymen had made | men, and not made them well; they imitated humanity so abominably. | Pubd Decr Cth 1794"; lower right: "12 Charing Cross"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actor | caricature | collar | cuffs | gesturing | jacket | literary theme | manager | medals | obese | performance | plays by William Shakespeare | portrait | posing | ruffs | sash | satire | shoes | star | theatre | tights | wig
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Scotland | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- Sir John Falstaff
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
Kemble, Stephen (1758–1822), actor and entertainer
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Robert Dighton, 1752–1814, British, Hamlet in Scotland, 1794
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.