Hamlet in Scotland
- Etching and stipple engraving, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 11 1/4 x 9 3/8 inches (28.6 x 23.8 cm), Plate: 8 13/16 x 6 5/16 inches (22.4 x 16 cm), and Image: 7 5/8 x 6 5/16 inches (19.3 x 16 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on front, upper left: "10/6"; upper right: "12"; lower center: "Schar[..]y | Sp B vol ?"; lower right: "Stephenson Kemble"; on back, upper left: "Kemble | £2/2/ | One for | Brown for"; lower left: "13"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn & Etchd by R Dighton"; lower center: "HAMLET in SCOTLAND. | A LARGE manager in a GREAT CHARACTER. | ------that I have thought some of nature's journeymen had made | men, and not made them well; they imitated humanity so abominably. | Pubd Decr Cth 1794"; lower right: "12 Charing Cross"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actor | caricature | collar | jacket | manager | medals | obese | performance | plays by William Shakespeare | portrait | ruffs | sash | satire | shoes | star | theatre | tights | wig
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Scotland | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
Sir John Falstaff
Kemble, Stephen (1758-1822), actor and entertainer
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Robert Dighton, 1752–1814, British, Hamlet in Scotland, 1794
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.