- Shakespeare in His Study
- Mezzotint, stipple engraving, etching, and line engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 24 5/8 x 18 1/8 inches (62.6 x 46.1 cm) and Image: 21 x 15 1/16 inches (53.3 x 38.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "[...] Shakespeare | 6 | 35-"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "PAINTED BY JOHN FAED R. S. A."; lower center: "London, Published by Henry Graves & Compy. June 20th. 1859; Printsellers to the Queen ___ 6 Pall Mall. | Shakespeare in his Study. | Dedicated to the People of the United States of America. | Philadelphia Published by J. S. Earle & Son June 20th. 1859; & Entered according to Act of Congress in the Clerk's Office, of the District Court of the United States of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania."; lower right: "ENGRAVED BY JAMES FAED."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beard | bookcase | books | bookshelves | breeches | brocade | chairs | collar | costume | cuffs (clothing) | curtains | doublet | hat | inkwell | interior | man | mustache | paper | portrait | quill | relief | rosettes | stockings | stool | study (room) | table | velvet
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
James Faed Sr., 1821–1911, British, Shakespeare in His Study, 1859
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.