Mr. W. J. Hammond and Miss Daly as Othello and Desdemona at the New Strand Theatre
- Materials & Techniques:
- Lithograph with hand coloring in watercolor on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 5/16 x 14 9/16 inches (26.2 x 37 cm), Image: 8 9/16 x 11 inches (21.7 x 28 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "8 (circled) (star design)"; on back, lower left: "81 (circled)"; lower right: "B5140 | 6.25"
Lettered, lower left: "J.W. Gear del et lithog."; lower center: "M.R. W.J. HAMMOND and MISS DALY as Othello and Desdemona at the NEW STRAND THEATRE. | Othello: A Gipsy woman whose name wad Powel | To my poor moder she gab dat towel. | Published by W. Kenneth at his Theatrical Agency Office, No22, Gb Ruffel St, Govent Garden, and to be had at the Strand Theatre"; lower right: "Printed by C. Hullmandel."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actor | actress | boots | costume | dress | gesturing | husband | literary theme | lovers | play | plays by William Shakespeare | tassels | The Tragedy of Othello, the Moor of Venice, play by William Shakespeare | theater | wife | wigs
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
Hammond, William John (1797x9–1848), actor and theater manager
Desdemona (character in Othello)
Othello (character in Othello, the Moor of Venice)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John W. Gear, 1806–1866, Mr. W. J. Hammond and Miss Daly as Othello and Desdemona at the New Strand Theatre, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.