- Taming Of The Shrew, Act III, Scene II
- Engraving and stipple engraving on thick, moderately textured, beige, wove paper
- Sheet: 22 7/8 × 28 13/16 inches (58.1 × 73.2 cm), Plate: 19 1/2 × 25 1/8 inches (49.5 × 63.8 cm), and Image: 17 1/8 × 23 3/8 inches (43.5 × 59.4 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "Paiined by Francis Wheatley, R.A." | Pet. But for my bonny Kate, she must with me, | Nay look not big, nor stamp nor stare, nor fret; | I will be master of what is mine own: | She is my goods, my chattels; she is my house, | My household stuff, my field, my barn, | My horse, my ox, my ass, my anything, | And here she stands, touch her whoever dare;"; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by J.P.Simon | I'll bring my action on the proudest he | That stops my way in Padua. --Grumio, | Draw forth thy weapon, we're beset with thieves; | Rescue thy mistress, if thy be a man: - | Fear not, sweet wench, thy shall not touch thee, Kate; | I'll buckle thee against a million."; lettered, lower center: "SHAKSPEARE. | Taming of the Shrew, | ACT III. SCENE II. | Baptista's house. --Petruchio, Katherine, Bianca, &c. | Published June 1st 1795 by JOHN & JOSIAH BOYDELL, at the Shakespeare-Gallery Pall Mall, & at No.90, Cheapside, LONDON."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Peter Simon, 1750–1810, Taming Of The Shrew, Act III, Scene II, 1795
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.