"Tempest", Act I, Scene I
- Engraving and stipple engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 20 × 25 7/8 inches (50.8 × 65.7 cm), Image: 17 3/16 × 23 1/16 inches (43.7 × 58.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "RS 3749"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by G.Romney. | Ari. Not a soul | But felt a fever of the mad, and play'd | Some bricks of desperation: All, but mariners, | Plung'd in the foaming brine, and quit the vessel,"; lettered, lower center: "SHAKSPEARE. | Tempest. | ACT I. SCENE I. | The inchanted Island: before the Cell of Prospero.--Prospero & Miranda. | Pubd. Sept. 29.1797, by J.& J.BOYDELL, Shakspeare Gallery, Pall Mall; and No.90, Cheapside."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by B.Smith. | Then all a-fire with me: the King's son, Ferdinand, | With hair up-starting (then like reeds, not hair) | Was the first man that leap'd; cry'd, Hell is empty, | And all the devils are here.""
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- literary theme | The Tempest, play by William Shakespeare | theater (discipline)
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Benjamin Smith, 1775–1833, British, "Tempest", Act I, Scene I, 1797