Wooded Landscape with Two Country Carts and Figures
- c. 1779-1780
- Soft-ground etching on blue laid paper, in gray ink, laid on eighteenth-century mount, first state
- Sheet: 11 7/8 x 15in. (30.2 x 38.1cm)
Inscribed on original eighteenth-century mount in pen and brown ink, bottom left: "Gainsborough [fecit?] with his own hand on soft copper"; faded or partially erased inscription in graphite, bottom right: "Gainsborough"; on back, bottom center, in pen and brown ink, but in a different hand: "The Drawings by Gainsborough are executed by his hand on soft copper ground - / Colnaghi".
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boulder | carts | dog (animal) | genre subject | landscape | mules (mammals)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Gainsborough and the landscape of refinement, Lowell Libson Ltd., London, 2014, p. 50, NJ18.G16 G3 2014