- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream, laid paper
- Sheet: 23 3/4 × 17 3/4 inches (60.3 × 45.1 cm), Plate: 19 7/8 × 13 13/16 inches (50.5 × 35.1 cm), and Image: 18 1/4 × 13 3/4 inches (46.4 × 34.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Vol.3.P.170"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sr. Joshua Reynolds"; lettered, lower center: "Master Herbert | Bacchus. | Published Novr. 15th.1776 by John Boydell Engraver in Cheapside London."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved bly J.R.Smith."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- (story of) Bacchus (Dionysus), Liber | animal art | basket | boy | curls | god | grapes | grapes | infant | leopard | light | nude | portrait | religious and mythological subject | rock | staff | tree | vine
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Raphael Smith, 1752–1812, British, Bacchus, 1776
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.