The Thames at Mortlake
- Part Of:
- Line engraving; engraver's proof, touched on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
Inscribed in graphite, center: "The sky roung the sun lighter tho' not in circles as far as the chalk. Thus to make the sky less flat- but do not impoverish your work- Piece of water at the top edge of the wall quite white. Do not in more closely the Trees above the Sun before you burnish the Light"
Collector's mark: "W.G.R"
Lettered below image, lower left: "J.M.W. Turner R.A."; lower right: "W.J. Cooke"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- landscape (representation) | river
- Associated Places:
- Greater London | Mortlake | Richmond | Thames
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William John Cooke, 1797–1865, Irish, The Thames at Mortlake, 1836-1838
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.