The Thames at Mortlake
- Part Of:
- Line engraving; engraver's proof, touched on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
Inscribed in graphite, center: "The sky roung the sun lighter tho' not in circles as far as the chalk. Thus to make the sky less flat- but do not impoverish your work- Piece of water at the top edge of the wall quite white. Do not in more closely the Trees above the Sun before you burnish the Light"
Collector's mark: "W.G.R"
Lettered below image, lower left: "J.M.W. Turner R.A."; lower right: "W.J. Cooke"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- landscape (representation) | river
- Associated Places:
- Greater London | Mortlake | Richmond | Thames
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William John Cooke, 1797–1865, Irish, The Thames at Mortlake, 1836-1838
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.