St. Martin's Church
- Additional Title(s):
A Plan of the Church of St. Martin
- between 1731 and 1754
- Etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 19 5/16 x 14 3/4 inches (49 x 37.5 cm), Plate: 18 3/8 x 13 7/16 inches (46.6 x 34.2 cm), and Image: 17 1/2 x 13 1/16 inches (44.5 x 33.1 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, on back, lower left: "Pag 18"
Lettered in black ink, within image, in banner, upper center: "ST. MARTINS CHURCH"; within image, lower right, within scroll and plan: "A Plan | of the | Church | of | St. Martin. | A Scale of Feet"; lower center: "L'Eglise de St. Martin."; lower right: "Sold by John Bowles at the black Horse in Cornhill."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | architectural drawing | architectural subject | architecture | banners | buildings | children | church | city | cityscape | clocks | clouds | coat of arms | coats | columns (architectural elements) | costume | crest | cross (object) | dresses | games | genre subject | hats | illustration | layout | men | pillars | plan (drawing) | railings | ruler (guiding tool) | running | scroll (motif) | square | stairs | steeple | Survey of London, 1598 | terrace | urns | windows | women
- Associated Places:
- City of Westminster | England | Greater London | London | St Martin-in-the-Fields | Trafalgar Square | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- Stow, John (1524/5–1605), historian
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Justin Lovill, 1776 : A London Chronicle or How to Divert Oneself while Losing an Empire, The Bunbury Press, London, 2019, p. 165a, DA682 .L66 2019 (LC) (YCBA)