The South Sea House
- Additional Title(s):
The South Sea House in Bishopsgate Street
- between 1720 and 1728
- Etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 14 7/16 x 19 3/4 inches (36.7 x 50.1 cm), Plate: 13 7/16 x 18 11/16 inches (34.2 x 47.4 cm), and Image: 12 13/16 x 18 1/8 inches (32.6 x 46 cm)
Inscribed in orange ink, on back, lower left: "Pag A0"
Lettered in black ink, upper center, within image, in banner: "THE SOUTH SEA HOUSE in Bishopsgate Street"; lower center: "London Printed and Sold by John Bowles at the black Horse in Cornhill."; lower right: "Bowles Sculp."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | architectural subject | architecture | buildings | capes (outerwear) | carriage | child | cityscape | clouds | columns (architectural elements) | costume | dog (animal) | dresses | fan | fences | genre subject | hats | horse (animal) | men | pillars | road | street | tricornes | walking | walking sticks | wheels | windows | women
- Associated Places:
- Bishopsgate | City of London | England | Greater London | London | South Sea House | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by unknown artist, The South Sea House, between 1720 and 1728
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.