Mercury and Argus
- Etching and line engraving, second state on thick, moderately textured, beige wove paper with cream chine-collé
- Sheet: 29 1/2 × 22 3/4 inches (74.9 × 57.8 cm), Plate: 27 1/4 × 19 3/8 inches (69.2 × 49.2 cm), Chine collé: 26 7/8 × 18 5/8 inches (68.3 × 47.3 cm), and Image: 20 5/8 × 15 1/4 inches (52.4 × 38.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.650"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "933/55 | 21/38"
Lettered below image: "Painted by J.M.W. Turner, R.A. | Engraved by J. T. Willmore. | London, Published Nov 1, 1841, By F. G. Moon, Printseller by Special Appointment to Her Majesty, & H.R.H. Prince Albert, 20, Threadneedle Street. | MERCURY AND ARGUS. | To the Right Honourable Sir Robert Peel, Bart, M.P. | This Engraving from the Original picture Painted by J. M. W. Turner, Esqr. R. A. | Is with permission most respectfully dedicated by his very Obliged and humble Servant, Fras. Grahm. Moon."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architecture | bridge | cliff | landscape | livestock | reflection | religious and mythological subject | sun | trees | water | waterfall
- Associated People:
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Turner et la couleur, Editions Hazan, Paris, 2016, pp. 109, 111, no. 87, NJ18 .T85 A12 2016 OVERSIZE (YCBA)