- Mercury and Argus
- Etching and line engraving, second state on thick, moderately textured, beige wove paper with cream chine-collé
- Sheet: 29 1/2 × 22 3/4 inches (74.9 × 57.8 cm), Plate: 27 1/4 × 19 3/8 inches (69.2 × 49.2 cm), Chine collé: 26 7/8 × 18 5/8 inches (68.3 × 47.3 cm), and Image: 20 5/8 × 15 1/4 inches (52.4 × 38.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.650"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "933/55 | 21/38"
Lettered below image: "Painted by J.M.W. Turner, R.A. | Engraved by J. T. Willmore. | London, Published Nov 1, 1841, By F. G. Moon, Printseller by Special Appointment to Her Majesty, & H.R.H. Prince Albert, 20, Threadneedle Street. | MERCURY AND ARGUS. | To the Right Honourable Sir Robert Peel, Bart, M.P. | This Engraving from the Original picture Painted by J. M. W. Turner, Esqr. R. A. | Is with permission most respectfully dedicated by his very Obliged and humble Servant, Fras. Grahm. Moon."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architecture | bridge | cliff | landscape | livestock | reflection | religious and mythological subject | sun | trees | water | waterfall
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Turner et la couleur, Editions Hazan, Paris, 2016, pp. 109, 111, no. 87, NJ18 .T85 A12 2016 OVERSIZE (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James T. Willmore, 1800–1863, British, Mercury and Argus, 1841
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.