The Earl of Mansfield
- Additional Title(s):
William Murray, 1st Earl of Mansfield
- Stipple engraving on silk, mounted on moderately thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Mount: 21 1/16 x 15 9/16 inches (53.5 x 39.5 cm), Sheet: 18 7/8 x 13 5/8 inches (47.9 x 34.6 cm), and Image: 16 15/16 x 13 3/8 inches (43.1 x 33.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Vol. 4 P. 225"; on back, lower center: "IR74/407"
Lettered in black ink, center right, within image, upside down on letter: "The Earl of Mansfield"; lower left: "Sir Joshua Reynolds pinxt."; lower center: Royal coat of arms; lower right: "F. Bartolozzi R. A. Engraver to his Majesty Sculpt:"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barrister | books | chain | chair | coat of arms | collar | columns | costume | crest | curls | curtain | earl | fur | interior | judge | letter (correspondence) | lions | man | Member of Parliament | nobility | paper (document genre) | pillars | politician | portrait | quill (feather) | robe | tassel | wig
- Associated People:
- Murray, William, first earl of Mansfield (1705–1793), judge and politician
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), The Earl of Mansfield, 1786
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.