Marine Study No. 3
- Former Title(s):
A Fresh Gale
- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 9/16 x 14 1/16 inches (31.9 x 35.7 cm), Plate: 9 x 10 3/8 inches (22.8 x 26.3 cm), Image: 7 1/2 x 9 13/16 inches (19 x 25 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left: "18253 | [horizontal line] | 4"; on back, lower left: "CANOT, Peter Charles"; on back, lower right: "Proofs £1-11-6 th[...] 4 - scarce"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "w. v v. | No. 3"; lower center: "London. Published Decr 1st. 1773. by J. Boydell Engraver No 90,, Cheap side." lower right: "P. C. C"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | clouds | flags | galleons | marine art | masts | men | men-of-war | navy | rowboat | sailboats | sails | sea | seamen | ships | waves (natural events) | wind
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Pierre Charles Canot, ca. 1710–1777, French, active in Britain, Marine Study No. 3, 1773
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.