The Bay of Baiae - Apollo and the Sibyl
- Etching and line engraving; first published state on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper with cream chine-collé
- Sheet: 27 1/4 × 39 7/8 inches (69.2 × 101.3 cm), Plate: 21 5/8 × 28 1/4 inches (54.9 × 71.8 cm), Image: 20 7/8 × 27 5/8 inches (53 × 70.2 cm), and Chine collé: 15 5/8 × 24 1/4 inches (39.7 × 61.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R 686"; lower left: "First Published State"
Blind embossed: "Printsellers | Association | ACX"
Lettered above image: "London, Published Octr. 14th. 1873, by Henry Graves & 'C', the Proprietors, Publishers to H. M. the Queen, and T.R.H. the Prince & Princefs of Wales & Pall Mall. Copyright, Registered, Entered according to Acto of Congress in the Year 1873 by William Schaus, in the Office of the Librarian of Congress, at Washington."; inside image, lower left: "LIQUIDIAE PLACUER BAIA"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bay (body of water) | distant view | god | hill | landscape | literary theme | man | Metamorphoses | religious and mythological subject | ruins | sea | sibyl | the Cumaean Sibyl is granted long life: Apollo grants the Cumaean sibyl as many years as she has grains of sand in her hand. in return for her love (Ovid, Metamorphoses XIV 136) | town | tree | woman
- Associated Places:
- Baia | Campania | Italy | Napoli | Napoli, Golfo di
- Associated People:
- Sibyl of Cumae
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Abiel Prior, 1809–1886, British, The Bay of Baiae - Apollo and the Sibyl, 1873
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.