The Bay of Baiae - Apollo and the Sibyl
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and line engraving; first published state on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 27 1/4 × 39 7/8 inches (69.2 × 101.3 cm), Plate: 21 5/8 × 28 1/4 inches (54.9 × 71.8 cm), Image: 20 7/8 × 27 5/8 inches (53 × 70.2 cm), Chine collé: 15 5/8 × 24 1/4 inches (39.7 × 61.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R 686"; lower left: "First Published State"
Blind embossed: The Printsellers' Association, "ACX" (Lugt 2051)
Lettered above image: "London, Published Octr. 14th. 1873, by Henry Graves & 'C', the Proprietors, Publishers to H. M. the Queen, and T.R.H. the Prince & Princefs of Wales & Pall Mall. Copyright, Registered, Entered according to Acto of Congress in the Year 1873 by William Schaus, in the Office of the Librarian of Congress, at Washington."; inside image, lower left: "LIQUIDIAE PLACUER BAIA"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bay (body of water) | distant view | god | hill | landscape | literary theme | man | Metamorphoses | religious and mythological subject | ruins | sea | sibyl | the Cumaean Sibyl is granted long life: Apollo grants the Cumaean sibyl as many years as she has grains of sand in her hand. in return for her love (Ovid, Metamorphoses XIV 136) | town | tree | woman
- Associated Places:
- Baia | Campania | Italy | Napoli | Napoli, Golfo di
- Associated People:
- Sibyl of Cumae
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Classic Ground - British Artists and the Landscape of Italy, 1740-1830 (Yale Center for British Art, 1981-07-29 - 1981-09-20) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Duncan Bull, Classic ground : British artists and the landscape of Italy, 1740-1830, , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 1981, pp. 18, 27-8, no. 12, ND1354.4 B85 (YCBA) [YCBA]