- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink First published state on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 1/2 × 17 5/8 inches (29.2 × 44.8 cm), Plate: 8 1/2 × 11 5/8 inches (21.6 × 29.5 cm), and Image: 7 3/8 × 10 1/2 inches (18.7 × 26.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "2 | 10"; lower left: "1.I"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "Cotswold Gallery 1924. ex G. E. Blood"
Watermark: "J Whatman | 1810"; Blind-stamp of Turner sale (Lugt 1498); blind-stamp of G.E. Blood (Lugt 265c)
Lettered above image: "This FRONTISPIECE to"; inside image, upper center: "LIBER STUDIORUM'"; center left: "Engraved by Wm. Annis | G. Clint | I.C. Easling | R. Dunkarton | H. Daw | T. Hodgetts | S.W. Reynolds | W. Say | C. Turner | J.M.W. Turner" below image: "Drawing Etched and the Centre Engraved by I.M.W. Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P."; lower right: "Engraved by I.C. Easling"; lower center: "is most respectfully presented to the Subscribers, by J.M.W. Turner, Queen Ann Street West | Published May 23, 1812, by I.M.W. Turner, Queen Ann Street West"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | basket | fish | frame (furnishing) | painting (visual work) | peacock | still life
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Frontispiece, 1812
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.