Lake of Thun, Switzerland
- Additional Title(s):
Lac du Thun
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink Engraver's proof (a) on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (trimmed inside plate): 7 7/8 × 11 inches (20 × 27.9 cm), Image: 7 1/8 × 10 3/8 inches (18.1 × 26.4 cm), and Mount: 12 × 17 5/8 inches (30.5 × 44.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "C.Turner"; inscribed on mount in graphite, center right: "This ridge in the clouds | [...]"; lower left: "Earliest State | 6-2 | B"; lower right: "Engraving Proof"
Watermark on mount: "Galerie di Florence"
Scratched letters below image: "Lac. du Thun"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- landscape | lightning | men | sailboats | seascape | waves (natural events)
- Associated Places:
- Lake Thun | Switzerland
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Lake of Thun, Switzerland, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.