- Original Sketch of a Picture for W. Leader, Esq.
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 × 16 1/4 inches (27.9 × 41.3 cm), Plate: 8 1/4 × 11 3/8 inches (21 × 28.9 cm), and Image: 7 × 10 1/8 inches (17.8 × 25.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "20 I"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "20. I."; lower center: "Cotswold Gallery 1924, ex. G.E.Blood"
Blind embossed: "G.E. Blood" (Lugt 265c)
Lettered above image: "M"; below image: "Drawn & Etched by J.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Engraved by Chas.Turner | Original Sketch of a Picture for W.Leader Esqr. | London Published March 29, 1809, by C.Turner, No.50, Warren Street, Fitzroy Square"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Original Sketch of a Picture for W. Leader, Esq, 1809
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.