- Windmill and Lock
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink First published state on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 × 16 1/4 inches (27.9 × 41.3 cm), Plate: 8 1/4 × 11 1/2 inches (21 × 29.2 cm), and Image: 7 × 10 1/4 inches (17.8 × 26 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "16 | 51"; lower left: "27. I"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "27 I"; lower center: "Cotswold Gallery, 1924 ex G.E.Blood"
Blind embossed: "G.E. Blood" (Lugt 265c)
Lettered above image: "P"; below image: "Drawn & Etched by I.M.W.Turner | Engraved by W.Say Engraver to his H.I.H. the Duke of Glocester | FROM A PICTURE IN THE POSSESSION OF I.M.TURNER R.A. | Published June 1, 1811, by I.M.W.Turner, Queen Ann Street West"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animals | country (rural landscape) | hill | people | windmill
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Windmill and Lock, 1811
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.