- Martello Towers near Bexhill, Sussex
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink First published state on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 1/4 × 17 1/8 inches (28.6 × 43.5 cm), Plate: 8 1/4 × 11 3/8 inches (21 × 28.9 cm), and Image: 7 × 10 1/4 inches (17.8 × 26 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "34. I. | ld"; lower right: "1"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "34 I"; lower center: "Cotswold Gallery, 1924, ex. G.E.Blood"
Blind embossed: JMW Turner Sale (Lugt 1498); blind embossed: "G.E. Blood" (Lugt 265c)
Lettered above image: "M"; below image: "Drawn & Etched by T.M.W. Turner Esqr. R.A. | Engraved by W. Say Engraver to H.R.H. the Duke of Gloucester | MARTELLO TOWERS NEAR BEXHILL, SUSSEX | Published June 1811, by T.M.W. Turner Queen Ann Street West"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Martello Towers near Bexhill, Sussex, 1811
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.