Thomas Secker, Lord Bishop of Oxford
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Mount: 16 1/8 × 12 1/16 inches (41 × 30.6 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 15 3/16 × 11 3/16 inches (38.6 × 28.4 cm), Sheet: 14 1/16 × 10 3/16 inches (35.7 × 25.9 cm), Image: 11 15/16 × 9 15/16 inches (30.3 × 25.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, on mount, upper center: "Thomas Secker was of Exeter College -- x in 1734 was raised he | to the See of Bristol from whence he was translated to Oxford in 1737 -- | in which bishoprich he continued [twice] removed to Canterbury in 1758 --"; inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower center: "19th Bp Oxford"; inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower right: "Vol.6.P.302"
Watermark on mount
Lettered, lower left: "T.Willes Pinxit."; lettered, lower right: "J. Mc Ardell Fecit, 1747."; lettered, lower center: "The Right Reverend Father in God | Thomas Secker S.T.P. Lord Bishop of Oxford. | Sold by M. Overton opposite Fetter Lane end Fleet Street. & P.Brookes faceing Southampton Street in ye Strand Price 1s.6d."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- archbishop | bands | frame (ornament area) | man | portrait | religious and mythological subject | religious and mythological subject | tippet | wig
- Associated People:
- Secker, Thomas (1693–1768), Bishop and Archbishop
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
James McArdell, ca. 1729–1765, Irish, Thomas Secker, Lord Bishop of Oxford, 1747
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.