Thomas Secker, Lord Bishop of Oxford
- Part Of:
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream, laid paper, mouned on, moderately thick, moderately textured, cream, laid paper
- Mount: 16 1/8 × 12 1/16 inches (41 × 30.6 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 15 3/16 × 11 3/16 inches (38.6 × 28.4 cm), Sheet (trimmed inside plate): 14 1/16 × 10 3/16 inches (35.7 × 25.9 cm), and Image: 11 15/16 × 9 15/16 inches (30.3 × 25.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, on mount, upper center: "Thomas Secker was of Exeter College -- x in 1734 was raised he | to the See of Bristol from whence he was translated to Oxford in 1737 -- | in which bishoprich he continued [twice] removed to Canterbury in 1758 --"; inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower center: "19th Bp Oxford"; inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower right: "Vol.6.P.302"
Watermark on mount
Lettered, lower left: "T.Willes Pinxit."; lettered, lower right: "J. Mc Ardell Fecit, 1747."; lettered, lower center: "The Right Reverend Father in God | Thomas Secker S.T.P. Lord Bishop of Oxford. | Sold by M. Overton opposite Fetter Lane end Fleet Street. & P.Brookes faceing Southampton Street in ye Strand Price 1s.6d."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- archbishop | bands | frame (ornament area) | man | portrait | tippet | wig
- Associated People:
- Secker, Thomas (1693-1768), Bishop and Archbishop
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
James McArdell, ca. 1729–1765, Irish, Thomas Secker, Lord Bishop of Oxford, 1747
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.