The Death of Dido
- Part Of:
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream, laid paper
- Sheet (trimmed inside plate): 19 5/8 × 23 9/16 inches (49.8 × 59.8 cm) and Image: 18 × 23 1/2 inches (45.7 × 59.7 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "painted by Sir Joshua REynolds"; lettered, lower center: "London; Published as the Act directs [18th] May 1786, by J. Grozer, No.8, Caslle Street, Leicester Square. | The Death of Dido"; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by J.Grozer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Aeneid | cloud | death | death of Dido; she climbs the funeral pyre and falls upon the sword of Aeneas | historical subject | pyre | queen (person) | sea | ship | sister | smoke | sword | the tragedy of Dido (Virgil, Aeneid IV) | the Trojans' departure from Carthage | weapon | woman
- Associated Places:
- Carthage | Tunis
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.