The Death of Dido
- Part Of:
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream, laid paper
- 19 5/8 × 23 9/16 inches (49.8 × 59.8 cm) and 18 × 23 1/2 inches (45.7 × 59.7 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "painted by Sir Joshua REynolds"; lettered, lower center: "London; Published as the Act directs [18th] May 1786, by J. Grozer, No.8, Caslle Street, Leicester Square. | The Death of Dido"; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by J.Grozer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Aeneid | cloud | death | death of Dido; she climbs the funeral pyre and falls upon the sword of Aeneas | goddess | historical subject | literary theme | pyre | queen (person) | religious and mythological subject | sea | ship | sister | smoke | sword | the story of Aeneas' wanderings to Italy (Virgil, Aeneid) | the tragedy of Dido (Virgil, Aeneid IV) | the Trojans' departure from Carthage | weapon | woman
- Associated Places:
- Carthage | Tunis
- Associated People:
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.