The Infant Hercules
- Mezzotint on moderately textured, rough, beige, laid paper
- Sheet (trimmed inside plate): 26 1/16 × 22 15/16 inches (66.2 × 58.3 cm) and Image: 24 × 22 7/8 inches (61 × 58.1 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sr.Joshua Reynolds. | [russian lettering]"; lettered, lower right: Engraved by Jas.Walker on Engr to her J.M. and Membr. of the Impr.Acady. of Art St.P. | THE INFANT HERCULES. | Dedicated to her Imperial Majesty CATHERINE the SECOND | Empress and Autocratrix of all the Russias. | By her much obliged most devoted | & very humble servant | James Walker."; lettered, lower center: "From the Original Picture in the | Imperial Gallery at St. Petersburg | Publish'd Jany 1st.1792, as the Act directs by Jas. Walker, St.Petersburg, W.Hodges Queen Street, May Fair, and R. Blamire, Corner of Northumberland Street, Strand, London."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cloud | cradle | dog | Hercules strangles two serpents in his cradle | infant | man | strength | weapon | woman
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.