Bishop's Palace, Wells, Somerset: Elevations of the Great Hall
- Part Of:
Collective Title: [One of] Sixty-seven sheets of elevations, ground plans, and ornamentation from several Gothic structures. One loose drawing.
- Pen and black and violet ink with graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 3/8 x 19 3/8 inches (39.1 x 49.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, lower center: "North Elevation of the Great Hall Bishops Palace Wells."; in pen and black ink, center left: "East End"; in pen and black ink, center right: "West End"; in pen and black ink, throughout, elevations labeled and dimensions given; in graphite, lower right: "Torch"; in pen and red ink, center right: "Present level"; in pen and red ink, lower right: "Present level"
Signed and dated in pen and black ink, lower right: "AW Pugin 1832."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | chapel | elevations (drawings) | exterior | Gothic (Medieval) | great halls | palace | rubble | turrets (towers) | walls | windows
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, 1812–1852, British, Bishop's Palace, Wells, Somerset: Elevations of the Great Hall, 1832
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.