View of a Valley with Ruins at Sardis
- ca. 1750
- Gray wash with gray ink and brown ink over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 14 7/8 x 21 5/16 inches (37.8 x 54.2 cm) and Image: 8 1/16 x 12 7/16 inches (20.4 x 31.6 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, upper left: "VII."; in graphite, upper left: "6 | IV"; in brown ink, within image: letters A-N labeling ruins and landscape elements; in graphite, lower center: "Heomus?"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- acropolis | fort | gymnasium | hills | landscape | Lydian | mountains | rivers | Roman | ruins | stadium | temple | theater | valley
- Associated Places:
- Akdeniz kiyisi | Bozdag | Gediz | Hatay Ili | Pactolus | Temple of Artemis | Turkey
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Giovanni Battista Borra, 1713–1770, Italian, View of a Valley with Ruins at Sardis, ca. 1750
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.