- View of the Modern City of Pergamon
- ca. 1750
- Gray wash with gray ink over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 15 1/16 x 21 5/16 inches (38.3 x 54.2 cm) and Image: 8 1/16 x 12 7/16 inches (20.4 x 31.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "15 | 13"; in brown ink, upper left: "XV. (crossed out)"; in black ink, lower center: "VEDVTA DI PERGAMO NELL' ASIA MINORE VERSO MEZZOGIORNO"; in black ink, within image: labels A-D; in brown ink, on back, center left: "IX"
watermark: Strasburg bend and lily with "WR" [Wendelin Riehel of Basle] in monogram (Churchill 408)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ancient Greek | architectural subject | basilicas | buildings | cityscape | columns | fences | hills | landscape | mountains | rivers | ruins | spires | trees
- Associated Places:
- Asia | Ege kiyilari | Izmir Ili | Pergamon | Turkey
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Giovanni Battista Borra, 1713–1770, Italian, View of the Modern City of Pergamon, ca. 1750
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.