View of the Valley of Sardis and View of a Ruined Bridge
- ca. 1750
- Black and brown ink with gray wash and watercolor over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper with gray wash
- Sheet: 21 5/16 x 14 15/16 inches (54.1 x 37.9 cm) and Image: 12 1/2 x 8 1/16 inches (31.7 x 20.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "8 | V"; in brown ink, upper left: "XIII."; in graphite, center left: "[...] | VI."; in brown ink, center right: "Fig. 2. | Fig. 1"; in graphite, lower left: "Bridge over Betolos(?)"; in brown ink, on back, lower center: "VIII"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bridge (built work) | columns | hills | landscape | Lydian | mountains | Persian | Roman | ruins | trees | valley
- Associated Places:
- Asia | Ege kiyilari | Manisa Ili | Sardis | Turkey
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Giovanni Battista Borra, 1713–1770, Italian, View of the Valley of Sardis and View of a Ruined Bridge, ca. 1750
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.