- View of Hill Towns or Ruins near Damascus
- Gray wash with black ink over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 14 5/8 x 21 5/8 inches (37.1 x 54.9 cm) and Image: 9 1/4 x 14 7/16 inches (23.5 x 36.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "135"; lower left: "[...] Sathua(?) near Damascus"; lower center: "Salkaya(?) near Damascus"
watermark: "IHS" in monogram, with a cross extending from the "H" and beneath it, "I VILLEDARY" (Churchill 411)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | cityscape | cliffs | hills | landscape | ruins | towns | trees | villages
- Associated Places:
- Asia | Damascus | Dimashq City | Syria
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Giovanni Battista Borra, 1713–1770, Italian, View of Hill Towns or Ruins near Damascus, 1751
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.