Plan of the Circus and Details of Capitals and Other Ornaments from Laodicea
- ca. 1750
- Gray wash with black and brown ink over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- 21 5/16 x 14 15/16 inches (54.1 x 38 cm) and 12 5/16 x 7 15/16 inches (31.3 x 20.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "67 (crossed out and replaced with '68') | LIX | 39"; in brown ink, upper left: "LXIII."; in brown ink, within image: labels A-D; in black ink, within image: measurements; in graphite, lower center: "[...] of the 3d great Theatre of the Corinthian order | & the Circus of Laodicea"
watermark: Strasburg bend and lily with "WR" [Wendelin Riehel of Basle] in monogram (Churchill 408)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | capitals | circus (Roman arena) | columns | Corinthian order | entablatures | Lydian | moldings | site plan | theater
- Associated Places:
- Asia | Denizli Ili | Ege kiyilari | Laodicea | Turkey
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Giovanni Battista Borra, 1713–1770, Italian, Plan of the Circus and Details of Capitals and Other Ornaments from Laodicea, ca. 1750
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.