The South View of Berwick Upon Tweed
- Additional Title(s):
The South View of Berwick Upon Tweed.
- ca. 1743-1745
- Materials & Techniques:
- Pen and black ink, with gray wash over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 1/4 x 31 7/8 inches (31.1 x 81 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, upper center: "THE SOUTH VIEW OF BERWICK UPON TWEED;" within image, in pen and black ink, landmarks numbered from 1 to 24; in pen and brown ink, lower left, key to numbered landmarks; in graphite, lower right: "Buck del."; in pen and black ink, verso, with the text that appears on the engraving, an account of Berwick upon Tweed; in graphite, verso: "1816/ Townley's sale/ lot 58th - 8-"
Signed in graphite, lower right: "Buck del."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | boats | bridge (built work) | buildings | flag | fort | harbor | hills | ocean | port | river | seamen | ships | town | views, town (creative works) | walls
- Associated Places:
- Berwick | Scotland | Tweed | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Scott Wilcox, Line of beauty : British drawings and watercolors of the eighteenth century, , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 2001, p. 154, no. 130, NC228 W53 2001 (YCBA) [YCBA]