Cæsar Alexander Scaglia Abbas Staphardæ et Mandanices
- Additional Title(s):
Cesare Alessandro Scaglia
- Part Of:
- Line engraving and stipple engraving on medium, slightly textured, browned white, laid paper, mounted on, moderately thick, slightly textured, cream, laid paper
- Mount: 14 15/16 × 11 1/16 inches (37.9 × 28.1 cm), Sheet: 9 15/16 × 7 3/8 inches (25.2 × 18.7 cm), Plate: 9 3/4 × 7 3/16 inches (24.8 × 18.3 cm), and Image: 8 7/8 × 7 1/16 inches (22.5 × 17.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, center: "W b 64 II state | state extremely rare | ex c. 24962"
Collector's mark: "G.A.C." Watermark
Lettered, lower center: "CÆSAR ALEXANDER SCAGLIA ABBAS STAPHARDÆ ET MANDANICES | Ant van Dyck pinxit"; lettered, lower left: "Hic quem tacentem nobilis finxit manus | Nuper diserta Principes lingua Regens | Momenta rebus magna perplexis dedit. | P. Pontius Sculp."; lettered, lower right: "Sibi nunc Silendo uiilit : actotum procul | Undare Mundum tacitus e Portu intuens | Animum ad futura doctus ex uisis parat | Mart vanden Enden exudit Cum pribilegio"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ambassador | cape | clergyman | diplomat | leaning | man | mustache | pillar | portrait | religious and mythological subject
- Associated People:
- Scaglia, Cesare Alessandro (1592-1641), Italian cleric and diplomat
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Paulus Pontius, 1603–1658, Flemish, Cæsar Alexander Scaglia Abbas Staphardæ et Mandanices, ca.1635
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.