- Cæsar Alexander Scaglia Abbas Staphardæ et Mandanices
- Line engraving and stipple engraving on medium, slightly textured, browned white, laid paper, mounted on, moderately thick, slightly textured, cream, laid paper
- Mount: 14 15/16 × 11 1/16 inches (37.9 × 28.1 cm), Sheet: 9 15/16 × 7 3/8 inches (25.2 × 18.7 cm), Plate: 9 3/4 × 7 3/16 inches (24.8 × 18.3 cm), and Image: 8 7/8 × 7 1/16 inches (22.5 × 17.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, center: "W b 64 II state | state extremely rare | ex c. 24962"
Collector's mark: "G.A.C." Watermark
Lettered, lower center: "CÆSAR ALEXANDER SCAGLIA ABBAS STAPHARDÆ ET MANDANICES | Ant van Dyck pinxit"; lettered, lower left: "Hic quem tacentem nobilis finxit manus | Nuper diserta Principes lingua Regens | Momenta rebus magna perplexis dedit. | P. Pontius Sculp."; lettered, lower right: "Sibi nunc Silendo uiilit : actotum procul | Undare Mundum tacitus e Portu intuens | Animum ad futura doctus ex uisis parat | Mart vanden Enden exudit Cum pribilegio"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ambassador | cape | clergyman | diplomat | leaning | man | mustache | pillar | portrait | religious and mythological subject
- Associated People:
- Scaglia, Cesare Alessandro (1592-1641), Italian cleric and diplomat
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Paulus Pontius, 1603–1658, Flemish, Cæsar Alexander Scaglia Abbas Staphardæ et Mandanices, ca.1635
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.