Cæsar Alexander Scaglia Abbas Staphardæ et Mandanices
- Additional Title(s):
Cesare Alessandro Scaglia
- Part Of:
- Line engraving and stipple engraving (3rd state) on medium, slightly textured, browned white, laid paper, mounted on, moderately thick, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Mount: 15 1/8 × 11 inches (38.4 × 27.9 cm), Sheet: 11 × 8 5/16 inches (27.9 × 21.1 cm), Plate: 9 5/8 × 7 3/16 inches (24.4 × 18.3 cm), and Image: 8 13/16 × 7 1/16 inches (22.4 × 17.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, upper left: "7 [?] should be [...]"; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper center: "Watermark 7 a [?] b"; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper right: "1640-60"; inscribed in graphite, verso, center: "No 64 IIInd state | 'Tres rare'"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "ex c 24962"; inscribed in graphite, on mount, upper left: "Watermark 7 - 7a (1640-60) [...] | Abbe of Staffarde, Politician [...] | died 1641 | "Very rare" | (6 states)"; inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower left: "W.64.(3rd state)"; inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower center: "B"
Collector's mark: "G.A.C."
Lettered, lower center: "CÆSAR ALEXANDER SCAGLIA ABBAS STAPHARDÆ ET MANDANICES. | Ant van Dyck pinxit"; lettered, lower left: "Hic quem tacentem nobilis finxit manus | Nuper diserta Principes lingua Mouens | Momenta rebus magna perplexis dedit. | P. Pontius Sculp."; lettered lower right: " Sibi nunc Silendo uiuit: actotum procul | Undare Mundum tacitus, e Portu inyuens | Animum ad futura doctus ex uisis parat. | Mart. vanden Enden excudit Cum privilegio"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ambassador | cape | clergyman | diplomat | leaning | man | mustache | pillar | portrait | religious and mythological subject
- Associated People:
- Scaglia, Cesare Alessandro (1592-1641), Italian cleric and diplomat
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Paulus Pontius, 1603–1658, Flemish, Cæsar Alexander Scaglia Abbas Staphardæ et Mandanices, ca.1635
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.