Cæsar Alexander Scaglia Abbas Staphardæ et Mandanices
- Additional Title(s):
Cesare Alessandro Scaglia
- Part Of:
- Line engraving and stipple engraving (3rd state) on medium, slightly textured, browned white, laid paper, mounted on, moderately thick, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Mount: 15 1/8 × 11 inches (38.4 × 27.9 cm), Sheet: 11 × 8 5/16 inches (27.9 × 21.1 cm), Plate: 9 5/8 × 7 3/16 inches (24.4 × 18.3 cm), and Image: 8 13/16 × 7 1/16 inches (22.4 × 17.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, upper left: "7 [?] should be [...]"; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper center: "Watermark 7 a [?] b"; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper right: "1640-60"; inscribed in graphite, verso, center: "No 64 IIInd state | 'Tres rare'"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "ex c 24962"; inscribed in graphite, on mount, upper left: "Watermark 7 - 7a (1640-60) [...] | Abbe of Staffarde, Politician [...] | died 1641 | "Very rare" | (6 states)"; inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower left: "W.64.(3rd state)"; inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower center: "B"
Collector's mark: "G.A.C."
Lettered, lower center: "CÆSAR ALEXANDER SCAGLIA ABBAS STAPHARDÆ ET MANDANICES. | Ant van Dyck pinxit"; lettered, lower left: "Hic quem tacentem nobilis finxit manus | Nuper diserta Principes lingua Mouens | Momenta rebus magna perplexis dedit. | P. Pontius Sculp."; lettered lower right: " Sibi nunc Silendo uiuit: actotum procul | Undare Mundum tacitus, e Portu inyuens | Animum ad futura doctus ex uisis parat. | Mart. vanden Enden excudit Cum privilegio"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ambassador | cape | clergyman | diplomat | leaning | man | mustache | pillar | portrait | religious and mythological subject
- Associated People:
- Scaglia, Cesare Alessandro (1592-1641), Italian cleric and diplomat
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Paulus Pontius, 1603–1658, Flemish, Cæsar Alexander Scaglia Abbas Staphardæ et Mandanices, ca.1635
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.