- Lovelace in Prison
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 15 3/8 x 17 7/16 inches (39 x 44.3 cm), Plate: 14 x 14 15/16 inches (35.5 x 38 cm), and Image: 10 5/8 x 12 9/16 inches (27 x 31.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "say 1/6 the hair"; on back, lower center: "Juer 243", half circle drawn above former; lower right: "(IR31/1398) 10/"
Lettered in brown ink, along lower left border of oval image: "Painted by J. F. Rigaud"; along lower right border of oval image: "Engraved by F. Bartolozzi"; lower center: "Lovelace in Prison. | LONDON, Publish'd March 1st; 1788, by W. DICKINSON Engraver Bond Street."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bars | chain | correctional institution | costume | feathers | gatehouse | hat | ink bottle | interior | literary theme | love | Lovelace, Richard (1617–1657), poet and army officer | man | manacle | oval | papers | pen | poem | poet | portrait | prison | prisoner | putto | quill (feather) | romance (literary genre) | To Althea, from Prison, 1642 | window | wings | woman
- Associated Places:
- City of Westminster | England | Gatehouse Prison | Greater London | London | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), Lovelace in Prison, 1788
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.