Serenissimus Princeps Ferdinandus Austriacus S.R.E, Cardinalis Belgarum Bourgundorumq & Gubernator & c
- Additional Title(s):
Cardinal-Infante Ferdinand of Austria
Don Fernando de Austria, Cardenal-infante Fernando de España
Ferdinand von Osterreich
- Part Of:
- Line engraving, stipple engraving and etching on medium, slightly textured, browned white, laid paper, mounted on, moderately thick, slightly textured, cream, laid paper
- Mount: 15 1/16 × 10 15/16 inches (38.3 × 27.8 cm), Sheet (trimmed inside plate): 10 × 6 11/16 inches (25.4 × 17 cm), and Image: 8 1/4 × 6 1/2 inches (21 × 16.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, upper center: "Not as good as BM"; inscribed in graphite, verso, center: "[hb] 159 - 1st state"; lower right: "ex c.24962 | 6/-"
Watermark: "XXX" Amsterdam Collector's mark: "G.A.C."
Lettered, lower center: "Serenissimus Princeps Ferdinandus Austriacus SRE | Cardinalis Belgarum Bourgundorumq & Gubernator & c | John Paine | Fecit"; lettered, lower left: "Antonius Van Dÿk | pinxit"; lettered, lower right: "P:Stent | excudit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- armor | cardinal | collar | commander | drapery | governor | man | military art | mustache | necklace | nobility | portrait | religious and mythological subject | royalty | sash | sheath | staff | sword
- Associated People:
- Fernando, Infante of Spain (1609-1641), Spanish noble and patron
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Paine, 1623–1700, French, Serenissimus Princeps Ferdinandus Austriacus S.R.E, Cardinalis Belgarum Bourgundorumq & Gubernator & c, ca.1635
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.